Monday, September 27, 2010

"Manage Your Energy, Not Your Time"*


This week's posts will be taken from a wonderful article "Manage Your Energy, Not Your Time" by Tony Schwartz (no relation) and Catherine McCarthy (Harvard Business Review, Oct. 2007).

Schwartz and McCarthy have studied efforts to help workers re-energize at work and have developed several strategies that I believe also apply to students who need to get a lot of work done in limited time (between work, family obligations and so on). So this week, I'll pull a few of the strategies they suggest and by the end of the week, I'll see if I can find a link to the full article.

Today's suggestion: "Learn to notice signs of imminent energy flagging, including restlessness, yawning, hunger, and difficulty concentrating."

I would add to that, once you see that your energy is dropping, interrupt the moment -- take a five minute walk, fold laundry, make a quick call to a friend. The trick is to be sure that your break is brief and that you get back to work.

I have definitely been able to lengthen my work sessions with this strategy. Try it, and let me know how it goes!

Cheering you on,
Harriet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
The Encouragement Lounge by Harriet L. Schwartz is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.