Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Then there is the good stuff!

In my last post, I wrote about how it can be difficult to stick with the work this time of year. Since then, I've had my two evening classes and have been reminded of the good stuff, the GREAT stuff, that happens as we learn together (regardless of the time of year).

Each of these classes had a wonderful intensity -- an energizing force. The feel of each class was different... one is a smaller group of students who know each other pretty well and the other is a larger class where students are just getting to know each other. Yet in each class, there was rich, deep dialog -- the kind of openness and honesty that can generate deep learning (and that certainly energizes me as a teacher!). A few of the elements that I noticed: trust in the room, risk-taking, a sense of caring, and humor.

Have you had this experience in the classroom? What do you think set the stage for it to happen?

Cheering you on in your work!
Harriet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
The Encouragement Lounge by Harriet L. Schwartz is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.