Wednesday, July 21, 2010

If you could learn about one thing....

Happy Wednesday!

So if you could learn about one thing that is unrelated to school or career, what would it be? My list is long.... one of the things I'd like to learn more about is birds. I work from home a fair amount and see a variety of birds outside our back window -- and realized, I could be looking them up and learning something new.

Last week, we saw a bright yellow bird that I later identified as an American Goldfinch. I have a Smithsonian Handbook on birds -- a hefty guide with good information, including bird behavior and phonetic spellings of the bird's call. The Handbook had this to say about the American Goldfinch (and it made me laugh, so I'm sharing it with you):

"In late summer, the breeding season, males engage in aerial displays of exaggerated roller coaster-like flights across the sky, singing po-tato-chip with each downward glide." (p. 723).

OK, that might be the funniest description of mating behavior ever!

So, if you could learn about one thing... what would it be?

Cheering you on in your work!
Harriet

1 comment:

  1. Oh my list is so long, but for one: I'd like to learn about the chemistry of cooking.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
The Encouragement Lounge by Harriet L. Schwartz is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.