Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Stress management tip from a guest blogger -- my dad!


Last night my dad emailed me to say he has been reading my blog and wanted to offer a stress management tip.... so here it is:

The following has helped me through stress and problems at work and in life in general. When faced with a problem instead of worrying about the entire problem I divide (either mentally or on paper) it into two parts.

One part consists of everything in that issue that I can change and the other part is the part I cannot control. Then when I am sure I have the list complete I throw away all the issues that I CANNOT change and only concentrate on what I can change. Why waste time, energy and worry on something you can not change?

This has saved me a lot of unnecessary worry and stress and has allowed me to sleep at night. I learned this from a "stress management course for supervisors" and believe me it works.


Thanks Dad! Good luck with the work, all!


photo by HLS


3 comments:

  1. Great tip - this is why dads are so handy to have around! ~Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your dad's idea.

    It reminds me of a prayer I used to say every night before going to sleep:

    "God grant me serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

    I would continue to say it nightly, except that I'm a polytheist now and I'm not sure who to address this particular prayer to. lol So I guess that's one downside to polytheism.

    But maybe the prayer will help someone else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Harriet's Dad-

    Great advice. I believe taking the time to write things down can help broaden your visualization. One may realize that they can change more than they originally thought possible.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
The Encouragement Lounge by Harriet L. Schwartz is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.