Wednesday, June 17, 2009

New pathways for collaboration



Here's another example of teachers (or at least this teacher) continuing to learn. I wonder what you can take from it too?? Earlier this year, I was contacted by someone who had seen this blog and wanted to link her blog to it (turns out she also writes a blog for students). So I checked out her work and said yes, let's link blogs. That turned into an ongoing conversation and before we knew it, we were proposing a conference presentation together! 

The colleague is Melanie Booth, and if you haven't already, you should check out her blog PrattleNog. Melanie is deeply reflective, inspiring, funny, and reads and shares lot of inspiring writers -- her blog is a nice lift.

Anyway, we learned this week that our proposed presentation has been accepted for a conference in Chicago in the fall. Our presentation is called "Facebook, Blogs, and Friendly Treehouses: Mentoring Adult Students Using Social Media." I know that Melanie and I will continue to think more deeply about this work that we do, as we work together on this presentation. 

This is a new kind of collaboration for me -- we haven't even met in person yet (!) and we're going to be presenting together. Of course, we worked on the proposal together, and we read each other's blogs so we've gotten to know each other a little bit. But still, I'm amazed at how this online world has opened a new door for collaboration. What can I learn from this? What can I learn from my online collaboration that transfers to other more traditional forms of collaboration? Has has your online life impacted your life as a student? Has it impacted your collaboration? Are there any lessons in there?

Keep at it!
Harriet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
The Encouragement Lounge by Harriet L. Schwartz is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.